Having had clear skin my entire life I was mortified to find that my usual pre-menstrual cycle breakouts were now occurring on a regular basis. I tried switching to black soap, using more acne fighting products, exfoliating more, applying less lotion, anything that would ensure my face would not breakout. One day when my skin started to flake from excessive cleaning I panicked and reached out for advice at the local organic beauty store.
The store associate suggested that I visit a dermatologist or naturopathic doctor, as she had gone through a similar situation and discovered that her breakouts were a result of a hormonal imbalance. Imbalance! I wasn’t stressed; I had cut down on fast food, what was the deal? Since I loathe prescription drugs I decided to opt for a naturopath to find a solution to my newly discovered adult acne.
At my first appointment with a naturopathic doctor I filled out a 5-page questionnaire. We discussed details about my diet, lifestyle, skin care routine and menstrual cycle. The doctor made recommendations on diet, lifestyle modifications and I was put on a 10 to 14 day detoxification program.
Acne problems lead me to see a naturopath, but here are five reasons every woman should consider making an appointment today:
1. Improved memory, focus and concentration- Women today multi-task more than any other generation juggling career, households and hobbies. Improved memory and concentration will allow you to stay more organized and optimize your day better.
2. PMS relief- Believe it or not, our periods are not supposed to be this dreaded awful monthly event. Cramping is intensified by a treacherous diet, and can be relieved through a naturopathic detoxification program.
3. Relief from allergies- It’s that time of the year again, wouldn’t it be nice to be free of runny noses and itchy watery eyes? Naturopaths also use acupuncture as a form of treatment, which is used to alleviate allergic reactions.
4. More energy- More energy will take you from the boardroom to bedroom with ease.
5. Optimal digestion- Through a dietary plan or with the aide of recommended naturopathic treatments your digestion will improve allowing your system to cleanse regularly.
Every patient’s receives a recommended treatment plan that is customized to your health concerns, lifestyle and family medical history. Naturopaths offer the following treatments: acupuncture, reiki, homeopathy, traditional Chinese medicine, massage and hydrotherapy.
If you are looking for a healthy alternative to costly pill popping, consider making an appointment with your local naturopath today.