That same year, Little Ebenezer began the first publicly funded school for black children. The school was paid for with government funds until May 1865. Emma Brown took over as one of two teachers at Little Ebenezer’s school.
In 1870, the larger church, which would be called Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church, was built but was destroyed by a storm 26 years later. In 1897, Ebenezer United Methodist Episcopal Church was erected on the grounds.
This year, the Ebenezer United Methodist Church will celebrate its 175th anniversary. The church has been named a historical landmark.