STAR TRACK: NEXT GENERATION: Rebbie Jackson’s son, Austin Brown, performed as part of the Music Matters segment and showed off some serious musical chops.
DRESS AS A WEAPON: R. Kelly did a montage of his greatest hits performed with group of black-clad singers but his biggest feat was not injuring anyone with his spiked hat and leather jacket.
MOST HUMBLE WINNER: In his acceptance speech for Best Male Hip-Hp Artist, L.A. rapper Kendrick Lamar, who said “Keep love God and respect in your heart and with hard work you can do anything.”
MISSING IN ACTION: Drake, Kanye, Jay-Z, Beyonce and Rihanna, all nominated, none of them in attendance.
BEST POLITICAL STATEMENT: Jamie Foxx, accepting the award for Best Actor wearing a Trayvon Martin T-shirt.
TUCKED IN: Chris Tucker either seemed as though he was rusty, wasn’t given a script or didn’t follow a script, as he floundered through some of the show and disappeared for a good portion of it. Hmmm, maybe next year he’ll rehearse more?
AND THE RATCHET AWARD GOES TO: Hands down, Nicki Minaj, who told the women of “The Best Man Holiday” cast that she looked up to them, then proceeded to do two performances that were bleeped so much you couldn’t tell what she was saying.
SAVE THE OVERTIME: Adding in a performance by Tamela Mann and by a group of reggae stars including Beenie Man and Dawn Penn not only carried the show well over 3 hours, but seemed out of place and better suited to “Celebration of Gospel” and the BET Hip-Hop Awards. This year’s awards also threw in a tribute to youth activists which seemed like just too much for an already crammed show.
Related Link: 2013 BET Awards Red Carpet Arrivals
DIVA DIS: Several Facebook commentators were appalled that Mariah Carey appeared to be lip-synching during a performance of “Beautiful” that featured not Miguel, who she does the song with but…Young Jeezy. Huh?
Onstage: Justin Timberlake in classic black formal wear, “The Best Man Holiday” cast.
Red carpet: actress/singer Adrienne Bailon in red and LeToya Luckett in white.
Best Dressed Couple: “House of Lies” star Don Cheadle and his wife Bridget Coulter.
WORST DRESSED: 2 Chainz, it’s truuuu. You are over-accessorized.
Related Link: BET Awards Airs 2013 Tonight [LIVE STREAM]
2013 BET Awards Hits and Misses
1. Taraji P. Henson: HIT1 of 21
2. Michael B. Jordan: HIT2 of 21
3. Angela Bassett: MISS; Gabrielle Union: HIT3 of 21
4. Nicki Minaj: HIT4 of 21
5. Janelle Monae: MISS5 of 21
6. Miguel: HIT6 of 21
7. Gabrielle Douglas: HIT7 of 21
8. Beverly Johnson: HIT8 of 21
9. Nia Long: Hit9 of 21
10. J. Cole: MISS10 of 21
11. Kendrick Lamar: HIT11 of 21
12. Amber Rose: MISS; Wiz Khalifa: MISS12 of 21
13. Ciara: HIT13 of 21
14. Trinidad James: MISS14 of 21
15. Dwyane Wade: HIT; Gabrielle Union: HIT15 of 21
16. Chris Paul & Wife: HITS16 of 21
17. Future: MISS17 of 21
18. Jamie Foxx: HIT18 of 21
19. Snoop Dogg: HIT19 of 21
20. Chris Tucker: MISS20 of 21
21. Wayne Brady: HIT21 of 21
2013 BET Awards Red Carpet Arrivals
1. Rapper Future and Ciara arrive at the 2013 BET Awards.1 of 9
2. Rapper B.o.B. arrives at the 2013 BET Awards.2 of 9
3. Rapper 2 Chainz arrives at the 2013 BET Awards.3 of 9
4. Janelle Monae arrives at the 2013 BET Awards.4 of 9
5. Quvenzhane Wallis arrives at the 2013 BET Awards.5 of 9
6. Sanaa Lathan arrives at the 2013 BET Awards.6 of 9
7. Snoop Dogg and his family arrive at the 2013 BET Awards.7 of 9
8. Terrance Howard arrives at the 2013 BET Awards.8 of 9
9. Erykah Badu and Kendrick Lamar arrive at the 2013 BET Awards.9 of 9