Wanda Sykes is a funny lady, so you’d figure she knows other funny women. At least that’s what the Oprah Winfrey Network figured when they hired Sykes to put together “Herlarious,” a standup comedy show that airs on the OWN Network at 10 p.m on July 13 and the 20. Comedians featured include the Tom Joyner Morning Show’s Dominique, although Sykes says it wasn’t easy to find her.
“I had to have Dominique on the show although it took me forever to hunt her ass down,” she told the Tom Joyner Morning Show. “I had to call y’all. I had to call the Tom Joyner Morning Show!”
Sykes says “Herlarious” was put together to showcase the talents of women who don’t always get the same spotlight as the men do. “We were just looking for funny comics who just happened to be women.”
Those women include Andi Smith, Gloria Bigelow, Marina Franklin, Tracey Ashley, Carmen Lynch and Dominique Witten with special appearances by comedian Kym Whitley and actress Brooke Shields. Sykes says working with Winfrey and Harpo Studios was a great opportunity but that of course Oprah expected the best.
“We are just so excited to do it. Its Harpo, it’s Oprah’s network, so we gotta do right..Oprah will slap you in the face with a bag of money if you don’t do right. I don’t know if you’ve ever been slapped with a stack of $100 bills but it hurts. It stings.”
Out and Proud Celebrities
25 photos Launch gallery
1. EJ Johnson
1 of 25
2. Robin Roberts announced her sexual orientation on Facebook in 2013. (Photo: AP)
2 of 25
3. CNN Anchor Don Lemon
3 of 25
4. Previously married to a man for seven years, Wanda Sykes officially came out in 2008.
4 of 25
5. NBA player Jason Collins
5 of 25
6. Fitness trainer Shaun T came out in 2013 and married his longtime boyfriend.
6 of 25
7. Michael Sam announced he was gay in an ESPN interview.
7 of 25
8. Singer Meshell Ndegeocello is an open lesbian and huge advocate for gay rights.(PR)
8 of 25
9. Orlando Cruz is the first active, openly gay boxer.
9 of 25
10. Elton John announced he was gay in 1976, and has been openly out since. (PR)
10 of 25
11. Director and Producer Paris Barclay has been with his partner for 14 years. (PR)
11 of 25
12. R&B singer Frank Ocean recently divulged to the world that his first love was a man. (AP)
12 of 25
13. André Leon Talley, fashion icon and editor at Vogue Magazine. (PR)
13 of 25
14. TV personality and hair stylist Miss Lawrence.
14 of 25
15. Singer Melissa Etheridge announced she was a lesbian in 1993 and has been a huge gay rights activist since. (PR)
15 of 25
16. "Precious" and "The Butler" director Lee Daniels
16 of 25
17. Andre Charles or famously known as drag queen RuPaul has been openly gay for many years. (PR)
17 of 25
18. Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi have been married for four years. (PR)
18 of 25
19. Famous Latino singer Ricky Martin finally came out as gay in 2010. (PR)
19 of 25
20. Famous Choreographer Bill T. Jones is openly gay. (PR)
20 of 25
21. Former N'Sync band member Lance Bass announced he was gay in 2006. (PR)
21 of 25
22. "Fast Car" singer Tracy Chapman. (PR)
22 of 25
23. Anderson Cooper came out in an open email to fans. (AP)
23 of 25
24. Celebrity hair Stylist and TV personality Derek J.
24 of 25
25. Catwalk coach Miss J. Alexander.
25 of 25