After three months in a Pretoria hospital, Nelson Mandela has returned to his Johannesburg home to continue his recovery.
According to a statement released by South African President Jacob Zuma’s office on Sunday, doctors discharged the anti-apartheid leader, who had been receiving treatment for a lung infection since June.
“Madiba’s condition remains critical and is at times unstable,” the office said. “Nevertheless, his team of doctors are convinced that he will receive the same level of intensive care at his Houghton home that he received in Pretoria.”
“During his stay in hospital from the 8th of June 2013, the condition of our former President vacillated between serious to critical and at times unstable,” the statement continued. “Despite the difficulties imposed by his various illnesses, he, as always, displays immense grace and fortitude.”
According to CNN, the 95-year-old former South Africa president was released from the hospital on Sunday, not Saturday as two sources close to Mandela’s family reported earlier.
“The family mistakenly thought Mandela had been taken to his Johannesburg home early Saturday morning,” an insider told CNN.
Get well soon, Madiba!
Check Out This Gallery