Boxing promoter Damon Feldman says that, despite growing resentment from the Black community, he will move forward with a “celebrity” boxing match between rapper DMX and child-killer George Zimmerman all in the name of “entertainment.”
As previously reported by NewsOne, Zimmerman said that he has been training in the ring since before the Trayvon Martin “incident.”
“Prior to the incident I was actually going to the gym for weight loss and doing boxing-type training for weight loss and a mutual friend put me in contact with Damon and provided me with an opportunity and motivation to get back in shape and continue with my weight loss goals and also be able to help a charity out.”
Read more from Philadelphia Magazine:
“There’s not going to be any press conference [next week] due to all the controversy,” explains Feldman, suggesting that a press conference may happen two days before the event instead. (Feldman later clarified that there would be a press conference next week, but that Zimmerman wouldn’t be at it.) But Feldman says that the Zimmerman-DMX boxing match will happen on March 15th as planned, regardless of the growing opposition to it. He has not announced a location for the fight.
The White House petition to stop the fight had just over 4,000 signatures as of Wednesday afternoon. As of Friday morning, that number had grown to22,000. (Any White House petition with 100,000 or more signatures requires a response from the White House.) A Change.org petition boasts over 73,000 signatures.