Bad Habits can be hard to break. However, the saying, “If you know better, you’ll do better” resonates when speaking about becoming educated on having good skin care. Having a smooth, shiny and healthy complexion is important. A good skin care regimen is necessary year round but especially during the summer. Having the “total package” from head to toe separates the “hot” and “not” groups when you’re socializing, conducting business, sealing an upcoming date or potential hookup. Our bodies are covered with skin and we have it all of our lives so why not take care of it? Here are five bad habits you should avoid when trying to attain a clean and smooth complexion.
- Washing Your Skin Too Much– It’s important to keep your skin clean but, washing it too much will only make your acne worse. Washing twice is day is good, once in the morning and again at night before going to bed.
- Scrubbing Your Skin Too Hard– Your skin is delicate so be gentle and particularly to areas on your body like your face. Using washcloths, loofahs or other exfoliates are ok but not in a rough abrasive motion. Scrubbing too hard will cause irritation and make your acne-prone skin worse. To prevent acne, use a gentle cleanser and lukewarm water to rinse.
- Not Cleaning Your Sweaty Skin– Sweating is good for you after an intense workout or after you’ve been out in the sun. Make sure you always bathe and/or wash your skin afterwards. Do not let the sweat dry.
- Picking at your skin and popping your zits – As tempting as it is, picking or popping your zits is not a good look. When you “mess” with your zits you cause increased redness from squeezing the pus deeper into the skin and sometimes even scarring. Instead, keep your hands off your face and let pimples go back down to size with the help of an anti-acne lotion or cream.
- Eating Greasy Foods– French Fries, Fried Chicken, Mozzarella Sticks taste real good. Although they don’t cause acne, greasy foods can make acne-prone skin worse because of the excess oil and grease that can get on your skin from the food itself. Implementing a healthy diet without greasy fried foods is better for your skin and your health.
Try to avoid doing these five bad habits and you will see improvements with your skin throughout your body. Remember to keep it fresh, smooth and clean. Enjoy!