Floyd Mayweather Jr, whose planned fight with Manny Pacquiao fell apart last month over drug testing stipulations, will fight Shane Mosley on 1 May. The two fighters have agreed to Olympic-style drug testing, Mayweather Promotions said in a statement.
“This one is definitely for the fans as I wasn’t going to waste anyone’s time with a meaningless tune-up bout and asked to fight Shane immediately,” said Mayweather. “I have said ever since I came back to the sport that I only wanted to fight the best. I think Shane is one of the best, but come 1 May, he still won’t be great enough to beat me.”
Mayweather, 32, retired in 2008 but returned to the ring last September with an easy decision over Juan Manuel Márquez after an 18-month break. The 38-year-old Mosley last fought in January 2009 when he earned a ninth-round stoppage against Antonio Margarito to win the welterweight world title for the third time.
“I have always wanted to fight Floyd and now it is finally coming true,” said Mosley, who has 46 wins in 51 fights, including two victories over Oscar De La Hoya. “I am already in great shape and ready to show everyone that I am stronger, faster and better than he is. I will have no problem beating him.”
Mosley signed the deal last Friday for the fight to be held in Las Vegas.
Pacquiao will defend his WBO welterweight title against the Ghanaian Joshua Clottey at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas on 13 March.