Having strong and healthy teeth are important in addition to having a pretty smile. You should protect them in order to preserve them for as long as you can. We already know(at least I hope so) that brushing and flossing daily is required to maintain a healthy mouth and smile. However, there’s simple things we unconsciously do throughout our day that may be harmful and bad for our teeth, gums and jaws. Elev8.com would like to share with you five bad habits you just may be doing that need to stop. You want a healthy mouth and smile right?
Check this out below:
1. Brushing Your Teeth with Horizontal strokes– Brushing horizontally(across) can hurt your tooth enamel. According to the General Dentistry, brushing in a gentle circular motion is best.
2. Nail Biting– Biting your nails is not only bad for your nails, it also harms your teeth. It reshapes the bottom of your upper teeth, leaving them with rigid edges. Also, nail-biters are at risk for bruxism or unintentional teeth grinding.
3. Consuming Bottled Water– Bottled Water is not fluoridated like tap water. Fluoride helps teeth get remineralized.
4. Drinking white wine- Wine lovers have their preferences but white wine can cause more problems due to its acidity. Some chardonnays and pinot grigios are high in acidity which can eat away at the enamel of the teeth. This can cause rough spots and grooves that leave teeth more vulnerable to stains from colored food or drinks consumed at the same time.
5. Snacking at night– Our mouths produce less saliva at night than they do during the day, and saliva is important for clearing food away from the teeth. As a result, people who snack at night tend to lose more teeth over time than people who don’t, according to a study published in June in the journal Eating Behaviors.
Are any of these your bad habits? if so, are you going to stop? or will you make a conscious effort to take care of your teeth better? What’s a solution? Maybe rinsing afterwards? Any suggestions?