Detroit – An 18-year-old man has been charged in the shooting of seven teens near a school last summer, bringing some closure to the crime that brought a national “blemish” to the city’s image, Police Chief Warren Evans said this afternoon.
Evans said police have arrested Jeffrey “Shug” Brooks in the June 2009 shooting at a bus stop near the Cody Ninth Grade Academy on the city’s west side. Brooks was arraigned today on seven counts of assault with intent to murder and one count of felony firearms for allegedly shooting rounds that injured the students.
Brooks was arrested Thursday at a youth detention camp in central Michigan, where he had been sentenced for an unrelated incident and was set to be released.
“We had been looking at him for a while as a shooter in this case. We’re confident he’s one of the shooters,” Evans said. “This was such a notorious crime, a real blemish for the city. That was a case that got national attention and got the blood boiling in Detroit. To some extent, we’ve gotten some closure. (But) this case is not totally closed and out of the way.”
The shooting on June 30, 2009, near the Cody Ninth Grade Academy came one day after a gang-related fight at the school, police said. Investigators believe the fight involved one of the gunmen, who then recruited two others to take part in the shooting.
Last week, Demetrius Hinton, 20, turned himself in to Detroit Police in connection with two unrelated shootings. He is considered a person of interest in the Cody shooting, Evans said.